Individual therapy is a crucial component of every effective addiction treatment program. Clients work one-on-one with a licensed therapist during individual therapy to identify personal challenges and areas that might require special attention. The therapist and the client work collaboratively. Together, they break through personal barriers as the client develops the coping skills they need to maintain sobriety.
At S2L Recovery, we incorporate individual therapy into our comprehensive, Christ-centered treatment program. Our Joint Commission-accredited, all-male residential and detox center is located in the beautiful hills of Middle Tennessee. We focus on helping our clients heal from the devastation of the addiction and bringing them closer to Christ. Contact us today to learn more about our Woodbury, Tennessee, addiction treatment center.
What is Individual Therapy?
Individual therapy is a type of talk therapy that encourages individuals to dive deeper into their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Under the guidance of a licensed therapist, service recipients identify the self-defeating and maladaptive patterns of thinking and behaving that have kept them stuck. At S2L Recovery, we also incorporate the importance of faith, helping our clients develop a deeper connection with Christ.
For many, individual therapy serves an important function in the context of addiction recovery. Individual therapy addresses a variety of issues, from unresolved trauma to the development of relapse prevention techniques. Additionally, individual therapy can bridge the gap for those who have been disconnected from Christ. Working one-on-one with a licensed professional does not need to be a last resort. In fact, we consider individual therapy essential for ongoing maintenance.
Is Individual Therapy Right For Me?
Individual therapy is an ideal option for individuals who:
- Struggle with substance use issues
- Have experienced trauma
- Recently stepped away from their relationship with Christ
- Struggle with emotional regulation
- Have problems with interpersonal relationships
- Do not know how to navigate certain challenges
- Are looking to develop self-awareness
- Are looking to build upon a pre-existing relationship with Christ
There are many different therapeutic techniques, from cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) to eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR). St S2L, our therapeutic staff members are trained and certified in a range of evidence-based therapies. The most effective therapeutic approach for each client varies based on their unique clinical needs, personal history, and treatment goals. Contact us today to learn more about our Christian-based addiction treatment center in Woodbury, Tennessee.
What Are the Different Types of Individual Therapy?
Types of individual therapy include:
- Psychodynamic therapy — In psychodynamic therapy, the client works closely with the therapist to explore the connection between the unconscious mind and self-defeating patterns of behavior.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy — In CBT, clients work with their assigned individual therapist to identify damaging patterns of thinking and modify damaging behavioral patterns.
- Dialectical behavior therapy — DBT is very similar to CBT. However, clients focus more on emotional regulation and the development of healthy coping strategies.
- Motivational interviewing — This therapeutic technique helps clients gain the motivation they need to commit to lasting change.
- Person-centered therapy — This therapeutic technique focuses on building a strong, functional bond between the client and the therapist. Person-centered therapy works from the standpoint that emotional distress stems from the disapproval and criticism of others. Developing a strong relationship with God helps clients understand that they are loved unconditionally, in spite of their flaws.
- Rational emotive behavior therapy — Often considered a type of CBT, this therapeutic technique follows a distinct set of principles. Rational emotive behavior therapy focuses on eliminating or reducing patterns of irrational thinking, which can lead to symptoms of anxiety, depression, and substance use issues.
Maximizing the Benefits of Individual Therapy
Below, we have shared a few helpful tips on how to maximize the benefits of individual therapy. Remember that a person tends to get out of the treatment experience exactly what they are willing to put into it.
- Be as open and honest with the individual therapist as possible.
- Work on developing a healthy professional relationship with the therapist, understanding that therapy is a collaborative effort and therefore requires a certain amount of trust.
- Set personal therapeutic goals, which could include tackling certain issues or developing a stronger relationship with Christ.
- Consistently show up as your most authentic self, and understand that growth can sometimes be uncomfortable.
Why Choose Spring 2 Life (S2L)?
S2L Recovery is an excellent choice for anyone struggling with addiction and looking for an entirely new way of living. While we incorporate Christ’s teachings into our comprehensive addiction treatment program, our program is ideal for anyone struggling with problematic substance use and looking to live a more principled life. We believe that addiction is largely a spiritual malady, and that anyone can recover with the right tools and resources in place.
Spring 2 Life is unlike any other addiction treatment center in Tennessee. We provide effective, evidence-based treatment options while helping our clients foster a vital relationship with a higher power. The life of freedom offered through Christ is illuminated through a combination of Biblical training, medical supervision, evidence-based therapies, and peer support. Our clients learn to life one another up as they collectively work towards a better and brighter future.
Begin Your Recovery Journey at S2L Recovery Today
The mission of S2L Recovery is to illuminate the life of freedom that is offered through Christ using biblical training, innovative pastoral counseling, and residential discipleship. S2L Recovery is a Christian-based addiction recovery treatment center featuring medically monitored detoxification and residential treatment. At S2L Recovery, we work with men of all ages who have been struggling with addiction and who are seeking an entirely new way of living. Contact us today to learn more about our Christ-centered addiction treatment center in Woodbury, Tennessee. Realign with Christ and begin healing today.